Thursday, January 11, 2007

Not This Time!!

In one of my classes today, my students were working on family history projects. These projects required some research, and we were using wireless laptops in my room. My students were well aware of the fact that I do not allow them to play music aloud from their computers. So one student decided to try me today.

He started playing, "On the Hotline" by Pretty Ricky. All I heard was "Let's talk about sex baby." So I said, "Someone is about to lose his computer privilege if he doesn't turn his music off." Normally when I say this, after getting the attention he/she needed, the student will turn the music off and I don't have to make a scene. I guess this student wanted to be extra funny and he continued to play the music so that the whole class could here it: ". . . cause im home alone lustin' for ya im in my room nothin but a towel on take them granny panties off put a thong on i love it when i hear you moan you got that sexy tone." I went to his computer, muted it and began to take it away from him. He put his hands around the computer and said, "No please don't take it. I'll turn it off." Then in a real quiet voice, "Please don't. I'm having family problems." I looked at him like he was crazy. I said, "No you're not. You told me that last time."

My student may very well be having problems at home, but it wasn't working this time. He knew exactly what he was doing. There are students who have behavior problems because of their home lives, but I wonder how many students take advantage of the idea that people will treat them differently based on their "hard-knock life." I will even go as far as to say that some students live up to the stereotypes about growing up black. For example, students hear "well you know his father is in jail," or "she comes from a single parent home," or "most young black males are unfairly being kicked out of class," or "young black women are prone to be promiscuous" and use those stereotypes as a scapegoat for their bad behavior. And with some teachers/people, they are allowed to get away with whatever.

I understand that we are all products of our environment, but at some point, we all have to be held accountable for our own actions. I truly believe that our young black males and females are being babied by some teachers because they are "poor little unfortunate black kids." This babying enables their inappropriate, often obnoxious, rude behaviors. And by the time they reach high school, they are Out Of Control!!

Can we please be in prayer for our youth and the people responsible for their education?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Please don't. I'm having family problems."

I almost got fired for laughing at that out loud at work! It's not a shock that kids know how to manipulate systems. They see their parents and everyone else in society do it.

Unknown said...

hey,
you're doing a great job!

i enjoy reading your blog - reminds me of the old days. i often think about you guys and will continue to pray for you!

erin.davis said...

I'm definitely with you on this. Crazy, crazy kids.

"I've learned - that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become."

It's true that these kids may have problems at home, but at what point do they decide that it's not going to affect who they become? I think that we all can indicate something about ourselves, our background, or our circumstances that SHOULD have limited us. The kids need prayer; and I feel that we should attempt to encourage foresight with them. Where you are now doesn't mean you'll always be there. Encourage them to see beyond the limitations.

Ronda, you're awesome. I wish I was in your class this semester.

Rell said...

I don't have that much experience with being in the classroom -- but they should give the teachers the right to beat kids again.

If the parents ain't gonna do it, Mr. and Mrs. Bullock should be able to!

Anonymous said...

Real talk, Rell. I remember the first time I went to Carmen's class I was looking for the mofos who had her coming home all mad and stuff.

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

Chip-Thanks for thinking about us and please keep the prayers coming.

"I remember the first time I went to Carmen's class I was looking for the mofos who had her coming home all mad and stuff." -Gene

Now Gene, you remember what happened the last time a kid made you mad. LOL.

"The kids need prayer." -Erin
You're right Erin. Some of these kids' situations are bigger you and I, bigger than educational reform, and bigger than any new educational teaching tool. Some situations just need Jesus and we, as teachers, run ourselves ragged with some kids and we fail to realize that we can't do it all. Some battles just are not ours to fight.

Rell, Im kinda glad we can't hit kids because after what some teachers go through . . . I don't even want to finish that statement.

Anonymous said...

"Rell, Im kinda glad we can't hit kids because after what some teachers go through . . . I don't even want to finish that statement."

Who said we can't hit kids!? ; )

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

Something about the law and getting fired, and getting sued makes me think that it may not be a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that's right ... and having to quit before you get fired so you don't have that on your work history. LOL.