Friday, July 20, 2007

HBCU vs PWU . . . Can't We All Just Get an Education?

Recently I was having a conversation with my cousin Brandi about the state of today's educational system. Somehow the conversation switched to comparing and contrasting an HBCU vs a Predominately White University (PWU). Brandi attended NC A&T State University and I attended UNC-Chapel Hill. We were going back and forth about the black experience at both institutions and which one was better. Actually, I think I was mostly defending my experience at UNC as a valid one. However, at the end of the conversation she said that she would not trade her experience at A&T for anything and I certainly would not trade mine. We both received a good education; we both grew as women; we understand ourselves and the world better. Bottom line, why can't Black people agree that regardless of whether or not you decide to attend an HBCU or a PWU, you can still receive a good education and a quality Black experience. I am so tired of battling which is better. Can't we just be happy that more and more Black people are attending college and call it a day?

8 comments:

tweezie said...

Well before we settle the dispute I will say...I had the best of both worlds! So I am more valid than both of ya'll!!!


J/K!

Ronda I too am tired over this whole debate. It makes no sense. If you are black you are going to have a black experience wherever you go. Regardless HBCU, PWU or whatever.... just get an education!

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

LOL Tweezie. I might go to grad school at Central just so that I can argue with you:0)

Anonymous said...

LOL. Rhonda I'm shocked that you even entertained this conversation?! What is right for you is right for you. What is right for Brandi is right for Brandi. Period.









She made it through all four homecomings without getting shot at even once?!

Anonymous said...

black schools nor white schools are the problems. our self-evaluations are. once we stop viewing our worth/value/importance by our academic pedigree, income, etc. then we can be freed from caring about how others view our university's "ranking." i am not my degree. LOL.

pitlifeus said...

What is a "black experience?" I receive all the black experience I need when I turn on BET (that is a joke btw). I believe the purpose of college is to prepare you for the "real world," and if any institution doesn't do that, they have terribly failed you.

Anonymous said...

The black experience is that of being black and experiencing.

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

Gene-LOL!! I went to a Homecoming with Brandi our freshman year and we had to run from gunshots. We got separated and I was really scared. It looked like a scene from Higher Learning.

Anonymous-"I am not my degree" I'm going to use that.

I whole heartedly agree with what has been said. I think this debate is another attempt from the Man to try to make us devalue ourselves.

Anonymous said...

RB -
You know what's crazy and not a bit ironic?! I went to A&T's homecoming my freshmen year and actually ran from gunshots TOO ... but clearly you and I weren't freshmen at the same time! Do I sense a trend?!