Monday, April 02, 2007

Jesus rode a colt. I ride a stallion.

At church this past Sunday, Pastor’s sermon was entitled, “The Donkey, the Dignitary, and the Disciple”. While I’m not sure of the actual message, he did make me think about Jesus riding a donkey into Jerusalem. The sermon came from Matthew 21: 1-7 (I won’t include it here, but rather challenge you to read it for yourself).

As pastor was talking, he asked, “Why would Jesus choose a donkey to ride into Jerusalem?” I think he even mentioned the word “ass” a time or two. As he talked, I drifted in and out of my own thoughts. What he really got me thinking about was the fact that Jesus rode a donkey. And those thoughts propelled my mind into analyzing how I’m riding.

Recently I’ve been thinking about my truck. I drive a red, 2005 Ford Sport Trac with leather seats, sun roof, four wheel drive, V6 engine, basically fully loaded. I wanted that truck every since it came out. And once I finally got my job, I went out and bought me a brand spankin’ new one. About a week ago, I went to fill it up; it cost me $49 and the tank wasn’t empty. All of sudden, I began to think, “Why in the heck am I driving this gas guzzler?” I began to ponder why I bought my truck in the first place. I knew it was going to take a lot of gas--was very conscious of that--but once I started paying for it, the reality really hit.

So I started thinking, maybe I should trade my truck in for another car. I always liked the Toyota Camry. So I went to look at the new Camry (this is a long story but it has a good message). While at the dealership, I was looking at what I could trade my truck in for and not receive a higher payment. I would save on gas money, considering my truck gets about 14 miles to the gallon and a Camry gets about 24. But when I saw what I would get if I traded my car in, I noticed that in order to maintain the same payment, I would have to lose the leather seats and sun roof and get a pretty standard car. In my mind I’m thinking, I would be downgrading. Then I started to think about my values.

As I was leaving the dealership, the salesman working with us walked us to the car. He pointed to my husband’s ride and said, “Is this yours?” KB replied, “Yes, I love my Altima (2006).” The salesman then said, “Don’t love your car. It depreciates.” Again I thought about my values.

So fast-forward back to the church service on Sunday. Jesus rode a donkey. The donkey got him to where he needed to go. It got the job done. He chose a donkey when he could have chosen any “more important” animal to ride. To Him, it wasn’t about how he was riding, but more about His purpose in what he was doing.

I have put and continue to put a lot of money into my stallion. All I need to do is to be able to get to work, where I serve my purpose in life as a teacher, and get home. I just need a reliable car. Had I chosen a donkey to ride, I could have more money to put in my savings, or more money to put towards my home (a true investment), or more money to pay back my school loans. Just think about how much money people put into cars: rims, tent, stereo systems, televisions, etc. All that money slowly but surely loses value. I mean I do understand that driving a nice car is a reward, a small pleasure for all of the work we do, but . . .

Jesus rode a donkey. Just something to think about.

10 comments:

tweezie said...

so did u trade in ur car?

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

I agree with you A.R. Jesus would just keep it moving. When He knew the end was coming, He didn't try to do everything that he hadn't had a chance to do (or maybe they took that part out). Now Jesus' life was far from simple, but it was simple in that he didn't have many worldly possessions; they complicate life, which makes me think about Thoreau and Walden Pond. I will do that post later.

And Tweezie, I haven't traded it in yet. I'm looking for a Honda Civic though.

tweezie said...

you do know that this hasn't changed my mind about me driving my Mercedes in the next year and a half right????

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lol Tweezie!!

Anonymous said...

We were talking about this at the first Easter dinner yesterday (you know I made Carmen accept every invite we got).

Recently as in post graduation, I've become much more conservative with my money. I still drive the car I drove in college. Why? Because that joint is PAID FOR! But honestly my interest in a new car has increased and I totally recognize that it is because my three closest friends our here are SERIOUSLY into cars. Like Kanye, I got some issues, but at least I know I got them and know why I got them. LOL.

But I know it is only a matter of time before I will need a new one. My car is 10 years old. While I won't be getting anything fully loaded (leather seats in the Phoenix sun is NOT what's up), my thought process now says, "I have to get a car I really like before we have kids and they take all my money, which means if I dont get a car I like now, I'll have to wait until they are out of the house to get it."

But this philosophy - which I most likely will follow - is still twisted, especially for those of us who are called to be good stewards with our money and are to serve as examples to the masses about how GOD'S MONEY should be spent. We ate Easter dinner with this older couple from our church yesterday with this AMAZING house built ON A MOUNTAIN! Them mofos own FIVE OTHER HOUSES. Their cars are like five years old. Like the dealer said, I can't see myself paying big money for something that depreciates by the second. I just can't do it.

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

That is crazy Gene. Who really needs all that? I plan on keeping my car until the wheels fall off.

Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, nike free, louboutin shoes, ugg boots, prada handbags, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, burberry, oakley sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, replica watches, tiffany and co, tiffany jewelry, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, louis vuitton outlet, nike roshe run, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike outlet, longchamp, air max, chanel handbags, nike air max, replica watches, sac longchamp, nike air max, jordan shoes

menna said...

سما
شركة تنظيف كنب بالبخار فى العين
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالبخار فى العين
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالبخار العين
شركة تنظيف مسابح فى العين
شركة تلميع وجلى رخام فى العين

menna said...

شركات تعقيم المنازل من فيروس كورونا
شركات تعقيم المنازل من كورونا